(originally published on April 2, 2018)
If you haven’t been able to tell yet, I love YouTube. I watch it constantly -more than I do actual television! It’s great to watch various content creators and the wide range of creativity that’s displayed on the platform.
Enter Sherri Wheeler. (YouTube Channel Name: Sherri HellCat.) As I do with many YouTubers, I stumbled upon her channel while browsing social media. Sherri’s videos are a wonderful mixture of makeup and reviews, some drama content, and more. I’ve had a great time watching her videos because she is very confident, presents herself well, and is very beautiful.
Below is my interview with Sherri. I encourage you all to check out her channel after reading this review. Trust me, you’ll have a lot of fun
1. First off, I would like to start by saying that I enjoy your channel as well as your personality very much! I’ve seen that you have a variety of videos, from makeup to “drama related” content. What inspired you to start your channel and what are your favorite topics to film?
What really inspired me to start my channel was my passion for makeup and how products work for my oily skin. My favorite topics: products that are holy grail to me, my subscription boxes, and what things that are happening on youtube or in the world that really affect me the most.
2. Not to kiss up, but you are very beautiful and clearly know what you’re doing when it comes to applying makeup. Do you have any holy grail beauty products and do you plan on doing more makeup related videos in the future?
My holy grail products are quite a list! I do suffer from oily skin and acne, so my products can change from time to time but a few items I keep using all the time and they are:
Biore Charcoal face cleaner
witch hazel facial toner
24k gold pore reducing elixir from Luna Queen Cosmetics
I do plan on making many more makeup videos!
3. I found it very inspiring when you opened up briefly in a recent video about your speech impediment. If you don’t mind me asking, do you get a lot of intrusive questions/comments about it both online and in real life? What advice do you have for someone with a similar issue?
I get a lot of comments online about it. Most of them are usually rude like “You sound like your mouth is full!” or “You are talking way too fast so you don’t know what you are talking about” The best advice I can give is that to own it because once you own it, no one can put you down for it no matter how hard they try. That’s what makes you so special from the next person!
4. You did a great job when you reacted to a Buzzfeed video about Wicca. You talked about your personal experiences with the religion, what Buzzfeed got wrong, and what you currently practice (Paganism/Witch). Would you mind sharing with us about your spiritual journey and what you found the most frustrating with the Buzzfeed video?
Well, I grew up Baptist but I felt like it wasn’t the right thing for me and I started getting into other religions to see what fits me at the age of 16. I started into Wicca which was amazing to me because of the one golden rule “Do unto others as you want done onto you!” But as I got older, my faith evolved with me which is now more neo-paganism (sort of new age paganism). What I found so frustrating is that there is way more than one kind of Wicca than they were showing to the public in their video and the fact not all Wiccans are in a coven. I understand that they were trying to be funny too but to me with some of the jokes would have been like me making jokes about someone’s cross or even when someone has ashes on their forehead for Ash Wednesday.
5. Who are your favorite YouTubers? Are there any specific types of videos that you find yourself watching a lot on YouTube?
My fave YouTubers have to be Jeffree Star, RawBeautyKristi, Jen luv’s Review, Tawny Michelle, Peter Monn, and Nick Snider. Mostly makeup, reviews on makeup, and some drama videos in that mix!
6. Speaking of entertainment, are there any shows and/or movies that you’re currently into that you’d like to talk about?
My fave movies are from different genres usually! They are The Last Unicorn, The Shape of Water, Suicide Squad, The Twilight Saga, and the Sailor Moon series.
The shows I love talking about are the original and new Sailor Moon series, RuPaul’s drag race along with all-stars, I am Jazz, My Big Fat fabulous life, and finally any anime that is on Toonami! I grew up watch anime so it’s hard to stop watching it at this point in my life!
7. Judging by your most recent videos, you seem like a very caring, compassionate person. Are there any charities/causes that you believe in and want to raise awareness about?
The charity I believe in is DKMS.
DKMS is where they need help finding matches for people that need blood marrow transplant. What they do is send out a kit where you use cheek cells and you send it back to them to see if you are a match someone in need because 70% of patients that need that kind of transplant have to find a match outside of their family which most of the time is hard to find a family member that is a match and even if they are a match, they might have a health issue that they can’t donate to the patient.
8. What would you say is the biggest misconception of you, either on YouTube or in your own personal life?
The biggest one that I am hearing is that somehow I am trying to be an actor when all I want to do is makeup which really makes me giggle at times.
9. Finally, what goals do you have for your YouTube channel and personal life in 2018?
My goal is to keep doing makeup and if there is something that is going on that I feel that is wrong is to continue to speak out no matter if others think my opinion is wrong.
Thank you very much, Sherri! It was an absolute pleasure speaking with you and I hope to talk to you again in the future. If you want to find her on Twitter, make sure to follow her here. You can also find her on Instagram here.